Children’s Day School (CDS) is a co-educational preschool through eighth grade serving over 474 students in the Mission Dolores neighborhood of San Francisco. Spanning two campuses, and home to a diverse community of students, faculty and families, CDS is a vibrant learning community. Our teachers practice constructivist teaching; born of “learning by doing,” it is how we achieve excellent academics. We believe by encouraging children to fully engage in complex topics, and in myriad ways, we are giving them tools to become lifelong learners and passionate citizens of the world. To learn more about CDS, visit our website at www.cds-sf.org.
We are seeking an experienced, talented, and energetic Middle School Learning Specialist for the 2018-2019 school year. This position reports to the Middle School Director and works closely with the entire middle school faculty to ensure academic support for all students, with a special focus on any students with an individualized plan.
The ideal candidate should possess the following skills and qualities:
Work with students
- An unwavering commitment to middle school students and the community
- Enthusiasm for the opportunities and challenges inherent in working with middle
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate with students, colleagues and parents
- Willingness to model professional and ethical standards when working with
students and the middle school faculty
- The desire and ability to contribute to student and community life inside and outside the classroom
- A commitment to professional development
- A commitment to social justice and multicultural education
- Case management of students with learning differences
- Work with individuals and/or small groups of students
- Consult with teachers and support differentiation in the classroom
- Review screenings and evaluations with parents, teachers, and evaluators to design a support plan at school
- Maintain a portfolio of student profiles for teachers’ use/support teachers to implement recommended accommodations and interventions
- Communicate with parents, tutors, specialists and teachers as needed
- Make appropriate referrals to outside specialists
- Manage classroom use for one-on-one tutoring
- Coordinate standardized testing accommodations and authorizations
- Work closely with the lower school Learning Specialist to help manage the transition of students from 4th to 5th grades
- Collaborate closely with Middle School Director and Middle School Counselor
Other responsibilities may include:
- Attend all weekly grade-level team meetings
- Attend middle school and all-community faculty meetings
- Leading or co-leading an affinity group
related to race/ethnicity, family structure, gender, religion, sexual orientation or other aspects of identity
- Participating in an overnight environmental education trip
- Performing lunch, recess, morning, and dismissal duties as assigned
- Participating in parent/teacher conferences for students with IEPs
- Working with the admissions team to asses and give feedback about students applying to CDS
- California Learning Specialist Credential, Educational Therapist Credential, or master’s degree in Special Education is required
- Two or more years of direct experience in the field
Your application should include:
- Cover letter
- Statement of philosophy and beliefs
Salary will be based on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits offered including medical, dental and vision insurance and a retirement plan.
CDS is an equal opportunity employer.
Candidates with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.