Full-Time Preschool Teacher
Children’s Day School (CDS) is a co-educational preschool through eighth grade serving over 475 students in the Mission Dolores neighborhood of San Francisco. Spanning two campuses, and home to a diverse community of students, faculty and families, CDS is a vibrant learning community. Our teachers practice constructivist teaching; born of “learning by doing,” it is how we achieve excellent academics. We believe by encouraging children to fully engage in complex topics, and in myriad ways, we are giving them tools to become lifelong learners and passionate citizens of the world. To learn more about CDS, visit our website at www.cds-sf.org.
Children’s Day School (CDS) is looking for a Preschool Teacher. Reporting to the Head Teacher of the class and the Preschool Program Director, the Teacher is responsible for assisting the Head Teacher and classroom teaching team in providing a developmentally appropriate preschool program for a mixed-age class (ages 3-5) of 24 children.
- Team: Collaborate, problem-solve and communicate with classroom teaching team members
- Curriculum: Assist in planning and implementing an exciting, challenging, child-centered and developmentally appropriate preschool curriculum.
- Children: Encourage children to take initiative to solve problems and pursue their own educational interests. Help children think, investigate and ask questions as part of the educational process. Strive to meet each child’s individual needs. Observe and record students’ development in collaboration with the teaching team.
- Families: Support a physically and emotionally safe environment that nurtures and facilitates the development of both children and families. Collaborate with families toward their child’s success.
The ideal candidate will:
- Demonstrate the ability to take initiative, work passionately and joyfully, and collaborate effectively with colleagues, students and parents.
- Apply an understanding of the developmental stages of children when observing and working with individual children.
- Model behavior and language that supports our mission and our program.
- Display excellent rapport with children and families and channel difficult communications through the Head Teacher.
- Express the desire and ability to take on increasing responsibility in the classroom and the CDS community, and to participate generously.
- Display a passion for learning and a commitment to personal-professional growth.
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills and contribute meaningfully to the twice-yearly progress report-writing process.
- Keep classroom, storage areas, bathrooms and outside areas neat and orderly.
- Work effectively with children, families, and staff of diverse backgrounds and family structures.
- Be proficient in technology: email, word processing, photos, etc. Comfort with blogging a plus.
The successful candidate will:
- Have at least a Bachelors degree in early childhood education or a related field (at least 12 ECE units are required).
- Meet licensing experience requirements (i.e. have worked at least three hours/day for 50 days in an early childhood setting within the last two years).
- Be able to lift 40 lbs (the weight of the average preschool child)
- Salary will be based on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits offered including medical, dental and vision insurance and a retirement plan.
**CDS is an equal opportunity employer. Our community is diverse in many ways, inclusive of race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender spectrum, age, ability, and more. We welcome and value the same in our faculty and staff.**