After School Teacher (Part Time)
Children’s Day School (CDS) is a co-educational preschool through eighth grade school serving over 470 students in the Mission Dolores neighborhood of San Francisco. Spanning two campuses, and home to a diverse community of students, faculty, and families, CDS is a vibrant learning community. Our teachers practice constructivist teaching; born of “learning by doing,” it is how we achieve excellent academics. We believe by encouraging children to fully engage in complex topics, and in myriad ways we are giving them tools to become lifelong learners and passionate citizens of the world. To learn more about CDS, visit our website at www.cds-sf.org.
CDS is located on a beautiful, secluded half-acre in the Mission near Dolores Park. Our after care program employs the use of indoor classrooms, environmental ed. kitchen, wood chips area and climbing structure, farm and garden (featuring eleven chickens and two sheep!), and a play yard among the largest of independent schools in the city.
CDS seeks a dynamic teacher for our aftercare program. Reporting to the Extended Program Director, the teacher is responsible for developing and leading engaging after school club activities for students in grades 1 – 8 and supporting the operation of the program. Past activities have included tinkering club, comic books, nature art, space club, recycled jewelry, bookmaking, green task force, theater, strategy games, and more.
- During the school year, the daily schedule is 2:00 - 5:30/6 pm Monday – Friday (hours may vary slightly). The school year starts August 31st.
- This position starts the week of August 16th through the duration of the school year
- The first two weeks require part-time availability for school year prep
- Full-time employment during summer program and vacation camps is available, as well.
- Plan and implement exciting, child-centered after school activities and special events. Supervise and engage with snack, free play and program transitions.
- Collaborate, inspire, support, problem-solve and communicate with after school team members, Extended Program administrators, and the school day teachers.
- Provide a safe physical and emotional environment for all students. Encourage children to take initiative to solve problems. Help children think, investigate, ask questions and laugh. Strive to meet each child’s individual needs.
- Collaborate with families toward their child’s success.
Educational Requirement/Desired Skills
- High School
- Associate’s degree (AA) or equivalent preferred
- Experience teaching or leading youth activities and excellent classroom management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as a great sense of humor.
- Demonstrate the ability to take initiative, work passionately and joyfully, and collaborate effectively with colleagues, students and parents.
- Express the desire and ability to take on increasing responsibility in the classroom and the CDS community, and to participate generously.
- Strong commitment to building a learning community where the people, culture and curriculum reflect the racial, ethnic, economic and family diversity of San Francisco.
- Possess dynamic problem-solving and communication skills.
- Be proficient in technology: email, word processing, photos, etc.
$20.00 - $23.65/hr - 17-20 hours/week - depending on education and experience
Physical Demands of Position
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a school employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions. Reasonable accommodation may be requested to enable individuals to perform the essential responsibilities of the job:
- Ability to sit, stand, move, communicate, hear and read during the course of normal teaching activities;
- Able to think and concentrate for sustained periods of time, and to perform teaching responsibilities with patience and professionalism required to effectively work with children;
- In person attendance necessary to perform essential job functions;
- May be exposed to childhood illnesses.
- Apply on our website at careers.cds-sf.org. Include resume, cover letter, names of 3 references and an idea for an engaging activity for elementary aged students
- Please do NOT call regarding this position. If we believe you are a match, we will contact you to schedule an interview.