Children’s Day School (CDS) is a co-educational preschool through eighth grade serving over 460 students in the Mission Dolores neighborhood of San Francisco. Spanning two campuses, and home to a diverse community of students, faculty and families, CDS is a vibrant learning community. Our teachers practice constructivist teaching; born of “learning by doing,” it is how we achieve excellent academics. We believe by encouraging children to fully engage in complex topics, and in myriad ways, we are giving them tools to become lifelong learners and passionate citizens of the world.
Children’s Day School is looking for a Preschool Teaching Assistant reporting to the Head Teacher of the class and the Preschool Aftercare Program Coordinator. The Preschool Teaching Assistant is responsible for assisting the Head Teacher and classroom teaching team in providing a developmentally appropriate preschool program for a mixed-age class (ages 3-5) of 24 children.
To learn more about CDS, visit our website at www.cds-sf.org.
- Assist the Lead Teacher in implementing curriculum and planning daily activities that are developmentally appropriate for young children.
- Assist in implementing an exciting, challenging, child-centered and developmentally appropriate preschool curriculum.
- Engage children in activities and play that stimulates their development
- Appropriately supervise children while keeping them safe at all times
- Assist children with activities of daily life (e.g., restroom use, feeding, dressing)
- Help facilitate daily activities that are developmentally appropriate for preschoolers
- Create and maintain an environment that is clean, organized, and safe for all children
- Establish a professional level of rapport with each family in order to provide quality care and friendly service
- Attend and participate in parent teacher conferences
- Assist lead teacher in gathering anecdotes for progress reports and conferences
- Attend and engage in occasional parent participation events and other events that may be on nights and/or weekends
- Communicate with the Lead Teacher regarding all aspects of the children’s care as well as classroom management
- Assistant/Butterfly Teachers are under the supervision of the Lead Teacher in the classroom and report directly to assistant director
- Encourage children to take initiative to solve problems and pursue their own educational interests. Help children think, investigate and ask questions as part of the educational process. Strive to meet each child’s individual needs.
- Support the Lead Teacher in creating a physically and emotionally safe environment that nurtures and facilitates the development of both children and families.
The ideal candidate will:
- Demonstrate the ability to take initiative, work passionately and joyfully, and collaborate effectively with colleagues, students and parents.
- Apply an understanding of the developmental stages of children when observing and working with individual children.
- Model behavior and language that supports our mission and our program.
- Display excellent rapport with children and families and channel difficult communications through the Head Teacher.
- Help keep classroom, storage areas, bathrooms and outside areas neat and orderly.
- Work effectively with children, families, and staff of diverse backgrounds and family structures.
The successful candidate will:
- Have at least 12 ECE units.
- Be able to lift 40 lbs (the weight of the average preschool child).
$19-22/hr depending on experience.
CDS is a racially and ethnically diverse community and we seek the same in our faculty and