Preschool Extended Program Teacher
Children’s Day School (CDS) is a co-educational preschool through eighth grade school serving over 470 students in the Mission Dolores neighborhood of San Francisco. Spanning two campuses, and home to a diverse community of students, faculty, and families, CDS is a vibrant learning community. Our teachers practice constructivist teaching; born of “learning by doing,” it is how we achieve excellent academics. We believe by encouraging children to fully engage in complex topics, and in myriad ways we are giving them tools to become lifelong learners and passionate citizens of the world. To learn more about CDS, visit our website at www.cds-sf.org.
We are looking for a part-time extended program teacher. The job would start immediately and would run until mid-June, with the option to work Summer Camp. Reporting to the Extended Program Director, the Teacher is responsible for assisting the extended program team in providing an excellent, developmentally appropriate preschool program for 3 - 5 year-olds.
We are currently hiring and the position runs until the close of school in mid-June 2021. Daily schedule is 2:00-5:30/6 pm Monday – Friday (hours may vary slightly). Employment (often full-time) during summer program and vacation camps is optional as well.
- Team: Collaborate, problem-solve and communicate with teaching team members and the Coordinator.
- Curriculum: Assist in planning and implementing an exciting, challenging, child-centered and developmentally appropriate preschool curriculum.
- Children: Encourage children to take initiative to solve problems and pursue their own educational interests. Help children think, investigate and ask questions as part of the educational process. Strive to meet each child’s individual needs.
- Families: Support a physically and emotionally safe environment that nurtures and facilitates the development of both children and families. Collaborate with families toward their child’s success.
The ideal candidate will:
- Create and lead popular and engaging activities.
- Demonstrate the ability to take initiative, work passionately and joyfully, and collaborate effectively with colleagues, students and parents.
- Apply an understanding of the developmental stages of children when observing and working with individual children.
- Model behavior and language that supports our mission and our program.
- Display excellent rapport with children and families and channel difficult communications through the Coordinator.
- Display a passion for learning and a commitment to personal-professional growth.
- Keep classroom, storage areas, bathrooms and outside areas neat and orderly.
- Work effectively with children, families, and staff of diverse backgrounds and family structures.
- Be proficient in technology: email, word processing, photos, etc.
- Have or be working on a degree in early childhood education or a related field.
- Have 6 months experience working with children 3 - 5 year olds.
- Be able to lift 40lbs (the weight of the average preschooler)
- Salary will be based on qualifications and experience.
- CDS is a racially and ethnically diverse community and we seek the same in our faculty and staff.
$19 - 22/hr depending on education and experience. 17-20 hours/week.
CDS is an equal opportunity employer.
Send resume, cover letter, names of 3 references and an idea for an engaging club activity for elementary aged students